Saturday, June 11, 2011

Happy Birthday to ME!!!!

  May 20th...
    I've had 3 birthday surprises today and it's not even my birthday yet!!  I'm like a kid!  It's my birthday week.  I don't care that I'm getting older.  I like who I am much more than who I was.  So, let me tell you about the surprises I got today...
  It's always fun to get a surprise in the mail.  I came home from running errands to find that the mailman had dropped off a brown box on the front doorstep.  My mom always sends my gift along with E's at the same time.  Our birthdays are within days of each other.  Inside were 2 gift bags.  Mine was obviously the more "girly" of the two.  Now, really, do you think I can wait over a week to open it?!  Heck no!!  Inside were two books on canning.  These are good things as I've been wanting to learn!  I was a typical suburban kid, raised far from a farm and the canning rituals that went along with it.
  After opening my gift, I left to pick up M. from school.  On the ride home, he announced that he had to give me my birthday gift early for fear the dog might chew it!  Really?!  What on earth could he have gotten me?  Pig ear?  Rawhide?  I'm not Shania Twain, but I think I'm kinda cute!  But, whatever, I get to open another present early!!  When we got home, he pulled a paper bag from his backpack.  Now I'm wondering, when did they start selling rawhide at the school store?  Out of the bag I pulled a carved wooden coyote, decoratively painted in bright colors!  (no coyote comments please!)   Apparently the Mexican artist who creates these wonderful pieces came into his Spanish class today.  Very cool stuff!  M. said he thought it looked "artsy fartsy" enough that I would like it.  (I really don't think the dog would have chewed it, I think he just wanted to give it to me.)
  Later in the evening I got a call from my friend Lena.  She and her husband Mike had just seen a great play at the Purple Rose Theater in Chelsea.  Mark and I were to have joined them but due to budget constraints, had to bow out.  Lena raved about the play, and insisted she take me for my birthday!  Am I lucky to have such good friends, or what???

...Fast forward, Birthday!!!!
   I really did have a great day!  I awoke and went about my usual routine.  After checking emails, I hopped over to fb.  Your birthday really is the most fun day on face book, am I right?  Fun to read through all the well wishes from family and friends.  E. stumbled downstairs and into the office.  I was showered with kisses and lilacs picked fresh from the garden!  (They sit right beside me on my desk in my favorite coffee mug.)  He then headed off to the kitchen to make me breakfast.  B. gave me the gift of a clean room.  (Trust me, this is a treasured gift!)  The boys share a room, and nobody knows how to de-clutter like B.!!
  After breakfast I slipped out of the house for a pedicure.  Really no better way to start any day than to sit in the massage chair and have a stranger rub your feet!  Then headed off to lunch with Lena.  Great, leisurely meal at the Common Grill.  Two glasses of cabernet later, we headed off to The Purple Rose theater to see "Some Couples May".  Great show!!  It would be really nice to do that once a month.  Perfect girls day out.
  When I got home, Mark had a card with a lotto ticket in it.  Apparently, he and E. had watched  a program on lotto winners, and since it was my Birthday, I was sure to win!!  (I think I'm supposed to sleep with it under my pillow!)  Along with a copy of Michigan Blue, with a campfire on the cover.  Does he know me or what!?  Later that evening, my guys took me out to dinner.  To spend the evening uninterrupted, just us, was gift enough. 
My point with this post?  Nothing but to express my thanks and gratitude for family and friends that love me!  I am very fortunate.  Do I have issues with the passing of time?  Nah!  I'm pretty happy with who I've become and the life I have.  Thanks everyone!!  Happy Birthday to me!!

P.S.  I didn't win lotto!!

3 comments:

  1. Hey, Tracy! Please set up a feedburner as it's just about the only way I can remember to read someone's blog. Glad you had a good birthday!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday to YOU, Tracy! A birthday week is the loveliest of things. Sounds like yours was delightful. Guess what? When Chris (our oldest cub) graduated from U of M we all went out to the Chelsea Grill. Great food...expensive. Enjoy the rest of your birthday month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Kathy, and Crazy Mom!!

    ReplyDelete