Friday, May 20, 2011

Hometown History

  I came across a "challenge" while blog hopping.  You never know what you'll encounter while blog hopping.  The challange was to write a history of your hometown.  Well now, that presents a problem for me.  The town I was born in, I only lived in until I was 10.  Not enough time to develop those "homey" feelings.  We then spent a brief time in New York, and then off to Michigan.  I only spent enough time in that particular suburban town we landed in, to finish highschool and meet my husband.  At that point, I moved to his hometown.  A setting far more urban than I would have preferred.  So, I've never felt at home here.
  If you've ever checked into my blog, I'm sure you know where I'm going with this!  The place where I truly feel at home is the place where our family goes to come together.  To get away from the chaos of day to day life in the city.  The pictures are all throughout this blog.  I'll claim Bearinger Township as my hometown.
  Bearinger Township sits at the tip of Michigans lower penninsula.  It's approxomately 1/2 way between Rogers City and Cheboygan.  The eastern border of the town touches the western shores of Lake Huron, while the west side of the township enjoys sunsets on Black Lake.  Bearinger (as of the 2,000 census) has a whopping 329 residents!  We don't have our own schools, I don't think there is a store within the township limits.  Is there a gas station?  Thinking...No!  Really, the only thing we have are woods, and water!  (And a few homes, cottages and an array of hunting cabins!)  It's history revolves around logging.  And later tourism.  Not the kind of tourism that has you buying fudge, and t-shirts that say "Grandma went to Bearinger and all I got was this lousy t-shirt"!  No, the kind of tourists that Bearinger attracts wear Stormy Kromers!  (google it!!)  They boat, sail, salmon fish, hunt, snowmobile, quad ride, hike, swim, canoe and have long conversations 'round campfires.
   The township of Bearinger is located in Presque Isle County.  The county seat is Rogers City.  Now
Rogers City, there's a story!  Founded by the illegitimate son of a King in Germany, by the name of Albert Molitor.  Molitor hooked up with William E. Rogers.  (see the connection?  Rogers...) Anyway, the two worked for the dept. of Lake Survey, and stumbled upon a sizeable stand of virgin timber in 1869.  The pair headed north to exploit their findings!  And so the birth of Rogers City.  Rogers spent only one winter before he said nuts to this!  He headed back east, where winters were more civilized.  Yet the town bears his name.  And there's more!  Money, greed, murder, politics, manipulation!  It certainly didn't start out as a sleepy little town.                                                                                       But, enough about Rogers City.  This is about Bearinger.
  Perhaps the best way to tell you about my town, is to show you my town...

Harbor of refuge run by the state of Michigan.

A wintery view of the harbor!

Quad/snowmobile trails criss cross the county.


Beach roses!  My favorite time of the year!!

A bouquet my boys picked to dress up the picnic table.

Out in the woods of Bearinger township.  B. with the blind he built himself!

Headed to the beach!

6 comments:

  1. If you would like to participate in your own hometown history assignment, here's the challange!


    http://stphoto.wordpress.com/2011/05/11/assignment-13-hometown-history/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just the kind of home town I'd like to live in!! My town is small...but not quite this small, and we don't have a Great Lake anywhere within sight! Thanks for sharing your favorite town with us! (I came over from Scott's blog) - Dawn K

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am excited that you decided to play along & take the Hometown Challenge, Tracy! Sounds like a beautiful place to find your hometown heart. Liking your pics a lot, especially the one of the boys jumping off the dock. Reminds me of my family's cottage in Bellaire, MI.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bearinger seems like a very peaceful place with a great nature - a place I would like to visit once....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tracy, found your post through Scott's assignment recap, love the music. :)

    I would like to live here during the summer months but really have to fly South for winter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nye,
    lol!! It is a long cold winter! Most who live there year round participate in some winter sport/activity. Lots of snomobilers. But Florida sounds good in January too!! :)
    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete