Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Deer Camp Review

  Deer camp comes at just the right time.  An escape to the quiet of the north woods right before the chaos of the holiday season.  This past week was most relaxing!  Many don't understand why I enjoy deer camp as much as I do.  Following is my list of top ten reasons...
  10.  This really should be #1, but it's the first thing I thought of, SLEEPING IN!  Sure, I set the alarm for 5:15 a.m.  Yes, I cook a big breakfast of pancakes and bacon.  I line up thermos' and fill them with coffee and hot chocolate.  Then I shoo them out of the camper before dawn breaks!  And I sleep...for another four hours!!!
  9.  I have total control of the stereo!
  8.  I don't HAVE to be anywhere.  My time is mine and mine alone!  It's very freeing.
  7.  I started and finished a book!
  6.  Text messages from the blind.  These seem to be sent for no other reason than my amusement.  Mark texted that he was out of coffee.  lol!!!  Silly hunters!  This isn't Starbucks!!
  5.  I act on impulse!  If I feel the urge to go into town, I go!  Had lots of fun when I stopped in at the local township museum to help with the Christmas decorations!
  4.  It's quiet up there!!  I hear the wind in the pines.  I hear the lake lap against the shore.  I don't hear the freeway that is blocks away from my front door back in the city!
  3.  An afternoon campfire!  I love the smell of woodsmoke.  This is a good time to ponder the days events.  And who knows?!  Someone is always stopping by.  I usually end up with a visitor. 
  2.  By the afternoon fire, some hot chocolate with Dr. Migillicuddy's peppermint schnapps.  (strictly for medicinal purposes!) 
  1.  When my crew comes home!!!!  After a quiet day, I rejoice in the noise and commotion of having all of my boys back from their blinds.  Love to hear their stories of the day.  Feed them dinner and settle in for a movie! Pasties, pie, hot coco.  I get to warm them up and take care of them.  Lots of guys go off to camp to escape their family, mine makes it all  about family, and I get to go too!!
Seriously, what's not to love about deer camp?

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you had a most wonderful time while the boys were at hunting camp. Don't you love the feeling of freedom when you can do whatever you please? (I am enjoying the Grinch song on your page here.)

    ReplyDelete