Tuesday, March 15, 2011

It's a Great Day to be Alive!

     In my "other life", I'm a political junkie.  Step away from the t.v., and stories of Tsunami's and unions gone mad.  I write on here for health reasons, to lower my blood pressure!   I hate to sound cliche, but I guess the only way to say it is, a conversation like last nights gives you perspective, or, maybe it just makes you happy to reminisce about simpler times.  It is a good feeling to comfort an old friend and to know that they will be there to do the same for you, despite the miles. 
  I've been feeling lately like we take one step forward and two steps back.  Just when you feel like you're getting ahead, life (or Washington) throws something in your path.  Then you get a call from an old friend.   Do you have a friend that no matter how long it's been since you've talked, you can pick up right where you left off?  It's just that comfortable.  I do.  We met in 6th grade.  She was new to the neighborhood.   Mary has always been, "What you see is what you get".  I liked her from the start!  Two years later, I moved away.  We've kept in touch ever since!  It seems like we see each other every six or seven years.  (Which is far too infrequently!!)  But I spoke with her last night.  I haven't talked with her since last August.  Turns out, her father passed last November.
  We spent the next hour and a half on the phone.  I soo wish she lived closer.  I guess it makes us appreciate the times when we do get together, all that much more.
  Mary, know that I'm praying for you and that you make your dad proud.  He will live on in the stories you tell your children.  A man not afraid of hard work and above all else, loved his family.
Mary and I back in the 80's!  Goofy, I know!!
RIP

No comments:

Post a Comment